Saturday, August 7, 2010

Beach Days


Tilted umbrellas line the sandy shore
Billowing in the lazy breeze
Gentle pint-sized waves
Repeat their journey ashore
Washing away the footprints
Of travelers and dreamers
I barefoot my way along the watery edge
Out-stepping the foamy surrender
Of saltwater retreat
It reaches for my feet
Trying to cover my painted toes
The incessant tumbling rush
Of surf over surf
Lulls me into a timeless place
Where only the slowly moving sun keeps pace
I extend my gaze afar
Where sky meets water
In a horizontal ribbon of limitless blue
Where high masted ash-white sailboats
Float in tranquility
And shades of turquoise green water
Blend and diffuse light to dark
I watch as hungry gulls
Swoop and dive for fishy food
And terns chatter among themselves
Arguing over seashell remains
I watch the languid bodies
Plastered against color-striped towels
And smile as hand-in-hand sweeties
Amble past stride for stride
I sidestep little ones
With plastic buckets and Frisbees
Squealing with delight
The salty air, summery sun,
Champagne sand with its
Buried seashell treasures
Beckon my return
To dream another day

No comments:

Post a Comment