Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Freedom Wheels


I fly better into the rising sun
Faster at dawn’s arrival
A muted whirring of rubberized plastic
Spinning and turning
The grey-black asphalt outstretched before me
Winds and curves, then disappears
For miles ahead
It’s me and the breeze;
Me and my wheels
Four in a row
Beneath each foot
In perfect succession
Giving me freedom
To breathe the sea-scented air
To soar like the herons
As a slalom skier around the bends
One foot ahead of the other
Onward and forward
Palm fronds rustling overhead
Squirrels and raccoons
Making a beeline to avoid my oncoming rush
A reflective time just for me
I let my random thoughts overtake
And mentally drift unbridled
I’ve seen it all on my skating adventures
A spoonbill quintet overhead
Cruise ships maneuvering out of port
Walkers, runners, bikers,
Wind-boarders, birdwatchers, picnickers
Everyone and anyone, tall and small
I pass them in a whiz
Kayakers, fishermen, kite flyers
My sweat soaked limbs
Cooled by a late summer wind
Just me and my skates
Celebrating exhilarating freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment